The trip from the airport in San Jose to Puerta Viejo is about four hours. Depending on your arrival time you may want to stay a night in San Jose and get an early start the next day. There are many hotels in San Jose to choose from. We have partnered with The Adventure Inn which will give you a 10% discount. Using our link to make the reservation will give you the discount.
(Keep in mind when choosing flight times: the airport shuttle services use a 12pm cut off time for leaving Puerto Viejo at 6am and making a flight in time for your trip home.)
1. The local bus is called the MEPE. It costs about $11.00. You will have to take a taxi to the bus station. (that can be $20.00)
2. Shared shuttle service: It is about $59.00/person. It is an air conditioned van that holds up to six people. It will pick you up across from the airport or at your hotel and deliver you to Cashew Hill. It only has two pick up times (7:20 or 2:30).
3. A Private Shuttle: These hold up to 8 people and costs $230.00 for 1-6 people. (add $10.00/person for more) Depending on your party size and what you want for privacy this can be a great option.
4. Fun on the way! There is also a very cost effective way to use the private shuttle for two people or to just have a blast on your way to PV! If you plan on a tour for rafting, kayaking, hiking etc. there is a package that includes an airport/hotel pick up before the activity and then will deliver you to Puerta Viejo after the activity. They store your luggage and feed you as well. These packages start at $99.00/person. You get a great trip and transportation for a fraction of the cost.
5. You can rent a vehicle and drive to PV. It is a nice option if you have additional traveling to do. However, you really do not need a vehicle in Puerto Viejo, as you can walk, rent a scooter or bicycle because everything is very close to Cashew Hill. There are also plenty of taxis and inexpensive bus services to other towns if you would like to explore other areas.
View Cashew Hill Jungle Cottages, Puerto Viejo, Costa Rica in a larger map
Driving directions from San Jose to Puerto Viejo: Head to the Guapiles Highway (HWY 32) and when you reach Limon, turn right on Highway 36. You’ll pass through the chilly heights of Braulio Carrillo National Park, the steamy lowlands of Guapiles, the Caribbean port town of Limon, and then follow the palm fringed coastal road South. Ask us for specific driving directions to Cashew Hill.